Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Can 59 Million Americans Be Wrong?

Yes.

[interminable pause while I try to collect my thoughts, which are careening around my head like ping pong balls on speed]

...

Um.

...

Oh, forget it. I give up. Let's all just get out of bed tomorrow (since some of us couldn't manage even that today), put one foot in front of the other, and start the hard work (again) of rebuilding this democracy in anticipation of whatever it is that RoveCo. will be dismantling and ravaging tomorrow, because no matter what the Gullibles in the Steno Pool wish to believe--bless their naive, pitter-pattering li'l hearts--there ain't no way that dumbyass is suddenly going to turn into a statesman, bipartisan or otherwise.

[P.S. I'm fighting the urge to pimpslap the 59 million people who privileged murky, nebulous "moral values" over issues of war and peace, prosperity and social justice. I hope they can eat moral values; I hope moral values can pay the mortgage; I hope moral values will bring back old growth forests and educate the poor kids in Mississippi and Alabama and Okalahoma and Georgia and the rest of those fact-averse red states. Those of us in the reality-based community have our doubts.]

[P.P.S. Dammit, I just can't believe this. And here I thought I would be able to take some time off, read fiction again, get back to yoga, enjoy my human rights, attend my gay friends' marriage ceremonies, breathe non-poisonous air, and foment a media revolution. You know, whatever.]

[P.P.P.S. I should note for the record that it did not at any time occur to me that Kerry would not win and win soundly. I just assumed that there were more of us in the reality-based community, people given to reasoned analysis based on facts, people who could not fathom dismantling the Great Society, ransacking 50 years of civil rights legislation and rejecting the hard fought advances of the women's, gay rights, environmental, and anti-war movements, denigrating global cooperation (screw you, NATO, UN, Kyoto, Anti-proliferation, etc.), ravaging the environment, stacking the courts with right-wing ideologues, the lack of accountability, the irresponsibility, the unbridled criminality, the abuses of trust and disregard for the Constitution, the relentless fearmongering. The list is endless. If you're gay, screw you. If you need an abortion, or, my God, mere information about reproductive health, screw you. If you'd like to drink non-toxic water, screw you. And your grandkids and theirs, too. You want a pension, workers' rights, health benefits? Screw you. More war? Yes. More tax cuts for millionaires? Yes. More concessions to big business? Yes. More environmental rollbacks? Yes. Clean food? No. "Values"? Yes. We shouldn't even be having this conversation following the human rights violations that were (are still?) standard practice at Abu Ghraib and Gitmo. In a sane, let alone just, world, the conversation would end there and both sides of this great blue state/red state divide would be compelled by shame and decency to right every last wrong and make formal apologies to the world and to the idea of western democracy that we had so sullied. But no. "We" validated the rampant, cynical criminality of B*sh policy by actually voting the yahoo in this time. HOW?? HOW??? (I'll stop with two; otherwise, we could be here all day.) I'm just pissed and sad enough to think that this idiotic country deserves what it asked for.]

[P.P.P.P.S. THUD.]