Saturday, October 16, 2004

Doubts about US morale in Iraq as troops refuse 'suicide mission'

Well, I can't say that I blame them. You just cannot expect anyone fighing a confounding and ill-defined war, no matter how "patriotic" and dutiful they are to their fellows, to willingly walk into a death trap. By all accounts, these supply routes have been a weak link since the very beginning.

Read the sad news here. How will the military handle this? Will this disappear into the memory hole? Will the soldiers be punished out of all proportion to their actions? Things have gotten so bad with this administration that I feel like I am watching a "Sopranos" episode; i.e. my moral world view has changed to match this other reality. Just as Tony "has to" whack one or another disloyal associate, I expect that the military has to, in their way, "whack" disloyal subordinates.

I hope to whatever Powers That Be that Cheney, Rummy, Wolfie, Condi, Perle, Feith, and, of course, the Dolt-in-Chief suffer for their craven, criminal irresponsibility and mendacity. They make me feel vengeful, and I curse them for that, too.